Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Stuck in London

I've been stuck in London for days and will be able to come home by train on Thursday. I've reserved a seat on the eurostar and my dad will come to pick me up in Paris (!!) which means approx. 8-10 hours driving. It's crazy what's going here. London is packed almost everywhere and it did cost me a fortune to buy a ticket to get to Paris. I'm also running out of money (all I have is 20 pounds) but luckly I have my credit card and I'm also staying with friends that has been a REAL blessing so far. They offered me a decent place to stay, I have my own room and I do enjoy this part of the city. We're not in the city centre but I much prefer here as it's very quiet, the house is lovely and they are sooo nice.

I know I'm lucky compared to other people who do not have friends to rely on. Yesterday in Hyde park we met a Spanish couple who shared a room with other 18 people in a hostel and have only 60 pounds to get back to Spain. I've heard all kind of stories so far. I'm looking forward to go home and the eruption has caused me troubles as I had to reschedule my work (not to mention how much I miss my home, partner, family, dog) but I have also spent time with friendly people who really care about me.

Hopefully I'll be in Italy on Thursday night.

4 comments:

  1. HI LOLA-

    fascinating adventure. I am glad you are on your way home. I have been to Hyde Park - lovely.

    This is great 'first-hand' info on the impact of the ash!!

    Love and travel safely
    Gail
    peace...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the advantage of having friends where you are stuck. I'm glad that you've been OK.

    Now that flights are happening, perhaps you are coming back earlier?

    ReplyDelete
  3. bentornata amore mio

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Gail: thanks! Yes, it's lovely.
    @Andy: I didn't come back earlier because at the beginning of the week Gatwick was still close... Anyway, it's true. It was a great advantage having friends there.
    @ Anonimo ;) grazie tesoro

    ReplyDelete