Wednesday, December 16, 2009

It's oh so quiet

Slept well? I did, even if the burglar alarm rang twice right after midnight. I was sleeping like a baby and I didn't understand from where the sound came from. We checked it and realized that it didn't work properly. To my surprise it took me only ten minutes to fall asleep again. And now... it's oh so quiet again. My big boy is under the table while I'm writing on my laptop. I'm in the living room and I can see the garden from here. I love my house. It's my grandparents' house and I've always lived here. This is typical Italian I know that, but I can't move from here. The house is mine now and I'd like to raise my children in such an environment, not too far from a big city but far enough to breath some fresh air and live more outdoor. Besides, we have a garden and enough indoor space. To be honest, if far too much for just the two of us. I'm not sure how I would adjust to a major change, such as having children (well, even only one!) around. I'm used to quietness and until now I've pretty much done whatever I've wanted. If I'd like to spend two hours reading in the garden I can do it without hearing almost nothing excepts for the birds. Don't get me wrong, I don't live neither in a royal palace nor in a national park but in a nice area which allows me to have space on my own. I can afford it because it's not Milan, Florence or Rome. It's not a city. I don't care living in a big city. I work in the city but at the end of the day I have to come back here. It's also because I don't have to commute every day and this makes life easier. Someone might find it boring and it is if one works here. Moreover, we are not "glued" to these old walls: we go out for dinner, or for a concert or whatever and we go to "the city". We enjoy it but no matter how late it is, we have to come back here. Home, sweet home.

No comments:

Post a Comment