Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Silence, space and Mrs.Dalloway

It would have been a perfect afternoon to focus on writing. There's nobody around, it's a grey day and the space -usually filled with books, people, sounds- it is nearly empty. Instead, I constantly check my emails, speak on the phone, think about how I relaxed I am. Yes, I am "relaxing as it is", as my screen saver's statement says. I'm too relaxed, that's the problem... procastinating decisions and work commitments. I will be fine, I'll go through all I have to do in the next days. 

It's quiet to the extent I can hear my own thoughts. Ideas make noise, a soft pillow-like noise when one turns during sleep. It crossed my mind to call my shadow but I wasn't really serious about it. I could call her today, I thought after my vegan lunch, but I wasn't excited nor concerned. The idea fell flat while I was walking back to my office. Should I call her? I don't know, perhaps I could break the ice first, pick up the phone and ask how it is doing with her baby girl. Apparently she wrote on facebook that she is in love with her. I bet, she seems so cute!

My mum doesn't understand why I feel the urge to solve this emotional knot. She doesn't even think about all this as something that needs to be addressed as she knows how L. is and is much more skeptical than me. She doesn't think people could change, when friendship is over it's really over and that's it. However, she told me that if it's crucial to me, I should call/meet her. I still don't know what to do. By the way, after the baby was delivered I haven't dreamt of her anymore. I did have strange dreams though, I wish I had written them down.

I finished The Secret Life of Bees which I really enjoyed and just started The Hours. The movie based on the novel is simply amazing, I've seen it 4-5 times (perhaps even more). The book is written in a wonderful, marvelous, perfect English and the characters -three women who live in different times linked by Woolf's Mrs Dalloway- are so unique I don't even dare to describe. 

As Clarissa steps down from the vestibule her shoe make gritty contact with the red-brown, mica-studded stone of the first stair. She is fifty-two now, just fifty-two, and almost unnaturally good health. She feels every bit as good as she did that day in Wellfleet, at the age of eighteen, stepping out through the glass doors into a day very much like this one, fresh and almost painfully clear, rampant with growth. There were dragonflies zigzagging among the cattails. There was a grassy smell sharpened by pine sap. Richard came out behind her, put an hand on her shoulder, and said, "Why, hello, Mrs. Dalloway". (p.10)


6 comments:

  1. I haven't read the book, but the movie is one of my favourites. And of course I've read "Mrs. Dalloway".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend you the book. You'd love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the book but have seen the film about 10 times and I love it too (obviously). One of my all-time favorite films :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ......and, PLEASE, please do something about your shadow! It seems to be bugging you and, in the end, she's just a person. You don't have to get too close or, at least, not if you don't want to. It causes me pain for you every time you say something about her since it is left so unresolved.

    There! I've said my bit and now I'll g back to shadows from whence I came ........ ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Andy. And I also think that this should be YOUR decision and not your mother's, as she can't know how you feel about this. I know you both realize this, but it's important to stress this point. Motherhood, the wish for it, the fear of it, the issues around it, also have to do with our relation to our own mother (whether too absent, too close, whatever).
    Meet the girl, for heaven's sake. You don't need to get close friends again (you won't!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Andy and Artemisia: I promise I'll do something! You're right, it is left unsolved and it should be my decision.
    Thank you, I appreciate your patience and your wise suggestions.

    Ps. now I want to see the movie... again!

    ReplyDelete