Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Yesterday

I did my first volounteer experience for an NGO. I don't want to go into details here because we deal with very delicate issues. Let me just briefly say that the theory was all in my head  (I attended a course last year) but after 10 minutes I realized that the reality of things is so different! Don't get me wrong, I loved it and I think I did the right choice: I can do it but I need time to learn and learn and... learn. Usually it takes 4 months to volounteer for them without the support of other skilled people who have been working there for years. The learning process is quite long and I fully understand why now.

I definitely liked it and I'm looking forward to my second experience scheduled for next week. You  know what is weird, though? I am a sociologist but this was the very first time I felt I was actually dealing with "society!. As a volounteer, I'll have to come up with answers in the near future, not only "approaches" to have a better overview of the problem.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, yes, theory and the reality - never exactly the same thing. Glad you enjoyed it though :-)

    I did volunteer stuff here when we first came over. I really did enjoy it too, even if I wasn't always so much help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI LOLA-

    Oh my, volunteering is so wonderful - and often so demanding and fulfilling all at once. I always believed that
    sociology' is the study and/or theory of societies, as opposed to actual humanity - the real 'grit' of it all. I was always in the 'grit'. I respect and admire your being in the 'grit'.

    Love to you
    Gail
    peace......

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Andy: that was brave! Especially because you just moved here.

    @Gail: thanks. I try do to my best to keep my head down to earth.

    ReplyDelete