Monday, January 25, 2010

Where/When do you write?

I don't write everywhere. I usually write at home because I share a small office with two colleagues and I don't want them to stare at me while I'm writing private stuff. They don't know about this blog and I'm not eager to let them know. If I am alone I do have a look at the blog or the comments and occasionally I write but I have to be completely alone. I also need a considerable amount of silence and there's only one quiet place where I can focus: my house. I'm NOT multitasking though, so I can't speak while writing, especially if I'm not using my native language. It's time consuming because I'm not very confident and I check on the Internet every now and then. I need an empty room (the dog is always allowed of course), the right mood and -possibly- the right light. Another reason why I can't write for a long time at work is a sort of neon lights effect which is disturbing to me. If the light is gentle, my thoughts are "soft" too.

I love writing when I'm staying alone in a hotel room, especially when I'm abroad. It seems as though I have plenty of time to think despite the fact that this is never the case. If I'm lucky enough to have half a day on my own, I have lunch in my room while writing, thinking, working, reading and so forth. It doesn't matter if I'm in Greece and the weather is great, I'm so focused on me and on my writing commitments that I don't want to be outdoor.

I don't know if these are writing habits. I'm flexible enough to write in a noise place if I have to but I rather prefer waiting for the "right moment" (and light and mood....).

I'm much more flexible with reading. A good book is all I need, no matter where I am or what I'm doing. Few years ago I manged to read while I was drying my hair and it was quite an experience. By the way, I'm stiking to New Year Resolution # 2. Amazing, isn't it?

What about you? Do you have writing habits?

No comments:

Post a Comment