Saturday, August 28, 2010

Part II

* PART I *

[So this how it goes: I write a post without editing it (this is why there are always mistakes but honestly I don't have time to time to write drafts) and then I think about it. Usually I involve my partner in this process and we have long conversations (if the topic is relevant) about the issues I have explored. He doesn't read this blog every day nor spends much time in front of the computer so I tell him to read this or that post. Yesterday night I explained to him this post and I felt as I had a better understanding of my own spiritual journery due to the above mentioned piece of writing. I've never put much thoughts on how blogs can be helpful to reframe our thinking. I'm keen to do more writing...]

I met this amazing man and he played a role in shaping my spiritual path. However, I didn't go to church for a while especially when I broke up with my partner for few months. I/we went through a period of crisis, I got sick and very anxious. I don't remember when and how, oh yes! It was Easter and I went to church. We were together again and we tryed to deal with our problems... and I did quit going to church.

More readings on Buddhism, especially in the summer. I don't know why the summer inspires Buddhist thinking to me. I had a surgery last year and I clearly remember why my mind was relatively calm the day before: the Buiddhist readings! I've never been so calm but to be honest it took me a long time to be like that. While recovering from the surgery I opened this blog and read a book written by a well known Italian journalist who converted to Catholicism (well, he was Catholic but in a sense he converted again) and now  regularly goes (and organizes pilgrimages) to Medjugorie. He has turned into a completly person and the book was fascinating. 

So am I Buddhist or Christian or both? Perhaps I am too a  Christian Buddhist or maybe I'm still  looking for "something" I can't quite put into words. Afterall, we are not human beings on a spiritual journey but spiritual beings on a human journey.

What is certain is that I'm inclined to continue this human journey in order find out more about my spirituality from different perspectives which CAN be brought together. I like reading the Bible (in English by the way! The New International Version is written in clear and modern English) but I want to learn how to meditate. I don't identify with a label. So far so good and I'm thankful for all the interesting online resources I've stumbled upon.

4 comments:

  1. HI LOLA-

    After years of travel I knew when I had arrived at an understanding of my spiritual place/self and you will too. And yes, the rosary every night except Sundays and especially on Fridays if my Dad was late coming home from work and we had to "offer" the rosary up to his safe return home fearing he would get in an accident because he was drinking. Can u even imagine? :-)
    Love toyou
    Gail
    peace and hope.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, Lola. I'm intrigued that, by exploring it or explaining it in this blog, you want to write more. To be honest, that's what I do even if mine is not a spiritual journey in the sense of finding (or re-finding) a religion. I don't 'have' a religion, as such, and I tend to dislike 'organised' religion (as they have to be) but I use my brand of religion - when I need to - and I'm happy with that. My journey, whilst not spiritual in that sense, is still the same, I think. It's the understanding myself (I won't use the word 'finding' since, not only is that overused but also it implies a loss of oneself, which I don't think is relevant, in my case). I'm not sure, in my case, if I am supposed to 'better' myself since, again, I don't feel there is the need nor am I trying to do that.

    It will be interesting to see how your journey goes. Good luck with it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, and by the way, what did your partner think of it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Gail: I can't even imagine it! I hope I will understand too but I must confess that I like this kind of "travelling" so I'm not in a rush.
    I haven't read the post you mentioned but I'll catch up in the following days.

    @Andy: I dislike organised religion too that is why I'm filled with doubts. I agree, your journey is similar and it is even spiritual if you think about. The understanding of one's self IS a spiritual effort. Thanks!

    As for my partner, it's a long story. To put it simply, he is not into spirituality/religion but he respects and fully understands my "journeys". He is a good listener and -being a smart man- he never says simplistic things.

    ReplyDelete