Saturday, May 8, 2010

Butterflies

My Polish friend came to visit me a couple of days ago. We met last year and became immediately very close as soon as we realized that we have a lot in common. She is a strong woman who has been through a really challenging moment. I don't think she is over it but I could see she has now a different perspective on life.

It's been a busy week for me so I didn't have a great amount of time to spend with her.  However, I managed to take half a day off and we had such intimate and deep conversations so filled with life exepectations and feelings that they nearly seem unrealistic now. I don't know why I can't reach the same level of intimacy with some of my closest friends here. Well, perhaps I know why. Again, it's a matter of language. Usually I don't  touch upon "sex issues " as I'm too shy to articulate my thoughts in my own language. Also, my Italian friends got to know me when I was very young and -I think- they stuck with an old version of me. While with her it's different since we met during our mutual metamorphosis. We were both in the process of changing, both eager to face our mistakes and develop new wings. It's a long process though,  and we are not able to fly long distances yet. 

The most important thing is that we inspire each other and grow stronger together. I miss her already but I'm planning to go to Poland in the next months to spend few days there.

4 comments:

  1. HI LOLA

    Your friendship with your friend from Poland sounds so amazing - enjoy every moment. And as they say, "timing is everything"

    Happy Mother's Day"

    Love Gail
    peace.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Gail. Timing is everything. We are 'attracted' to others that are similar to us or are going through similar experiences, I think.

    Friendships change with time and become less or more intimate depending on situations. You are probably right in that your 'old' friends know you as a person - but over time you change, as you must, and, yet, most people want their friends to stay the same, even as they don't!

    New friends at different times of your life are just as important as keeping the 'old' friends - and, sometimes, the new friends become 'old' friends too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Gail: it's true, timing is everything. Well, happy mother's day to you... I'm not a mum yet ;)

    @Andy: I agree, it's important to keep "old" and "new" friends as they both are part of us. I really appreciate my "old" friends and really love them.

    It's just that at least a couple of them haven't changed the way I have and this makes things more difficult sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I understand. But friends do come and go over time. It's the way things happen.

    ReplyDelete